LI TRIO is a non-profit all volunteer organization committed to improving the quality of lives touched by the miracle of transplantation through education, support, advocacy, and organ donation and transplantation awareness.Read Full Mission Statement
LI TRIO is a non-profit all volunteer organization committed to improving the quality of lives touched by the miracle of transplantation through education, support, advocacy, and organ donation and transplantation awareness.
Our volunteers speak at High Schools and Universities in order to raise awareness and promote the need for organ donation. We have cooperative programs with teachers and principals in the Long Island School System.
We provide current information (with respect to developments in organ and tissue donation, transplantation, medications, social issues, and finances) to transplant candidates, recipients, donors, and their families. We inform transplant candidates, recipients and their families, donors and donor families about initiatives and protocols in the field of transplantation.
We provide support to transplant candidates, recipients and their families, donors and donor families to help alleviate the stresses and problems associated with the process.
We make the concerns and needs that affect the welfare of transplant candidates, recipients, and donor families known to federal, state and local government bodies. We also effectively communicate the views of transplant candidates, recipients and their families, donors and donor families to the general public.
We promote organ and tissue donation as an important social responsibility. We develop and support mechanisms to improve the availability of organs and tissues on an equitable basis to meet the needs of transplant candidates. is a non-profit all volunteer organization committed to improving the quality of lives touched by the miracle of transplantation through education, support, advocacy, and organ donation and transplantation awareness.
- New Bill: The Immunosuppressive Drug Coverage for Kidney Transplant Patients Act Read more at: http://www.litrio.org/get-involved/legislative-initiatives/On Sept. 22, Representatives Michael C. Burgess, MD, and Ron Kind introduced the Immunosuppressive Drug Coverage for Kidney Transplant Patients Act. This legislation would allow individuals who are eligible for immunosuppressive drugs under Medicare Part B to continue to receive their treatment past the current 36-month cutoff.
- The New York State Education Department Will Be Developing High School Lesson Plans, Model Curriculum and Resources Raising Awareness Of Organ and Tissue DonationThe New York State Education Department announced that together with Senate Majority Leader John J. Flanagan and Assembly Assistant Speaker Felix W. Ortiz, the department will collaborate with organizations that promote the importance of organ and tissue donation with the goal of developing “model curriculum, exemplar lesson plans and best practice instructional resources on the importance and value of organ and tissue donation".
- Organ donation experts visit Health classrooms: Students learn about the benefits of registering to become an organ donorFor 15 years, LI TRIO-Long Island Transplant Recipients Organization has been visiting Schreiber and impacting students’ views on organ donation.
- Featured News
- Antibodies in blood can help predict transplant rejection
- Governor Cuomo signed A.8594/S.6228 which has extended Lauren’s law through year 2020.
- Guest Blog for LI TRIO-Healthy Eating
- Lauren’s Law-Permanent Extension
- The New York State Senate passed important legislation and a resolution to encourage more New Yorkers to become organ and tissue donors
- Geographic disparities divide organ transplant world
- Watch videos-real transplant documentaries and public service announcements, real people and heartfelt stories
- Apple promotes organ donation with iOS 10, sign up as a donor from the Health app
- The New York State Education Department Will Be Developing High School Lesson Plans, Model Curriculum and Resources Raising Awareness Of Organ and Tissue Donation
- Write to your Senators- click here to find your United States Senator
- New kidney transplant system helps few but doesn’t address wait time gap
- Find Your Representative in the United States House Of Representatives
- White House Summit: support for living donors and improving outcomes for individuals waiting for organ transplants
- LI TRIO Visits Lindenhurst High School
- Transplant recipients at higher risk for death from cancer
- Organ transplant recipients more susceptible to deadly skin cancer
- In NYS- new law eliminates surprise medical bills
- Senator Peralta introduced legislation that would require certain state forms to allowing New Yorkers to enroll in the Donate Life Registry
- The BK Polyomavirus-Common cause for complications after kidney transplantation identified
- UCLA Researcher's Pioneering Transplant Work Saved Countless Lives
- Dave Rodgers led a special presentation at Harborfield High School
- Hearts for Russ Housman-Third Annual Golf Outing & Dinner-September 16, 2016
- Saving Lives and Improving Health Care through Innovation in Organ Donations and Transplants
- LI TRIO's New School Speakers Program In Suffolk County
- Presidential Proclamation -- National Donate Life Month, 2016
- February 14th-“Donor Day” in New York State- Senator Kemp Hannon and Long Island TRIO
- LI TRIO Legislative Summary Update- 2016
- Common ‘Heart Attack’ Blood Test May Predict Future Hypertension
- Massapequa Freshmen Learn About the Gift of Life
- UT Southwestern Researchers Studying Whether Gout Drug Prevents Progression of Kidney Damage in Diabetes Patients
- UPDATE: This proposal prevented the 52% increase in Part B Premiums that would effect about 15 million people
- Artificial kidney will save millions of lives, scientists say
- Organ Donor Registry List is Weakest in New York
- New Yorkers Really Came Through on October 6th
- The Medicare Prescription Drug Savings and Choice Act
- Casey Introduces Legislation to Boost Organ Donation Research, Increase Awareness
- Editorial- Is It Time to Test Incentives to Increase Organ Donation-Sally Satel, MD
- Chronic Kidney Disease Improvement in Research and Treatment Act
- Legislative Update- Success--New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo Signed Amendment To Lauren’s Law
- Jen Lentini's donor mom hears late son’s heartbeat, 18 years after transplant