Here are all of the options with respect to enrolling in your state’s donor registry.
• Online- At this time in New York State, the only truly online procedure involves this DMV link- to enroll in the New York State Donate Life Registry
• By Mail: Download a Donor Registry enrollment form and mail it in.
•Online/mail- Fill out the Donor Registry enrollment form . Once you’ve filled out the form online, print it, sign it, and mail it to the New York State Department of Health.
• At the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV): Check off the donor box on your driver’s license application or renewal form, or when applying for or renewing a non-driver identification card.
Please sign our guestbook letting us know that you decided to enroll and took this important step.
*The Donor Registry enrollment form on this website and the form on the New York State Department of Health’s website will still need to be signed so for the most efficient service, please fill out the form, print it and mail it as per the instructions on the form.
By deciding to be a donor, you give the gift of hope; hope for the thousands of individuals awaiting organ transplants and hope for the millions of individuals whose lives could be enhanced through tissue transplants.
It’s a fact that you may save up to 8 lives through organ donation and enhance many others through tissue donation.
Last year, organ donors made the gift of life possible for more than 28,000 transplant recipients. Another one million people received cornea and other tissue transplants that helped them recover from trauma, bone damage, spinal injuries, burns, hearing impairment and vision loss.
Unfortunately, thousands die every year waiting for a donor organ that never comes. You have the power to change that.
Each day, about 79 people receive organ transplants. However, 20 people die each day waiting for transplants that can’t take place because of the shortage of donated organs.
• This MyDMV service allows you to register online through MyDMV as an organ, eye or tissue donor in the Department of Health (DOH) Donate Life Registry without the need to download, complete and return a printed form.
• There is a tremendous need for organ donations in NYS. The DMV and DOH Web sites have more information about the program.
Why do I have to sign up to use it?
Secure sign-up protects you. When you sign up for MyDMV, you are verifying your identity with a high degree of certainty. You must provide information such as a document number that appears on your DMV driver license or other photo document and the last four digits of your social security number.
If you prefer to enroll by mail and not register to be an organ donor online, visit the organ and tissue donation page at the Department of Health Web site.